Saul “Canelo” Alvarez left no doubt about who is the top active Mexican boxer by dominating Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. Come September, Alvarez will get a chance to become the middleweight champion again.
Minutes after winning every round on all three judges’ cards in a 12-round romp over Chavez, Alvarez invited Gennady Golovkin into the ring and announced a long-awaited clash on Sept. 16. The contract has already been signed. Only the venue is undetermined.
“GGG, you are next my friend. The fight is done,” Alvarez said as the crowd cheered. “I’ve never feared anyone, since I was 16 fighting as a professional.”
Alvarez (49-1-1, 34 KOs) used a punishing jab to take control early against Chavez in a matchup of former middleweight champions. The bigger Chavez (50-3-1, 32 KOs) started bleeding from the nose in the third round. His left eye swelled in the sixth and started to close a round later.
Alvarez, who went off as a 4-1 favorite, was much quicker than the largest fighter he’s faced. He had a 228-71 edge in punches landed and an 83-15 advantage in jabs landed.
“Tonight, I showed I could move, I could box,” Alvarez said. “I showed as a fighter I can do all things. I thought I was going to showcase myself as a fighter that could throw punches, but he just wouldn’t do it.”
Alvarez’s team was so confident, they cut the deal with Golovkin before the bout. Alvarez had no choice after relinquishing his WBC belt last year to Golovkin when he declined to reach a fight deal.
“I feel very excited, right now is a different story,” Golovkin said. “In September, it will be a different style, a big drama show. I’m ready.”
Alvarez was guaranteed $5 million and Chavez $3 million. The September fight could produce an eight-figure purse for Alvarez.
“I’ve had difficult fights,” Alvarez said, “and that will no doubt be a tough fight.”
Alvarez knows his next fight will be bigger.
“I always say, Canelo Alvarez is the best because I fight the best,” he said.