The Secretary-General of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA), Patrick Johnson, says news that they revoked the license of Braimah Kamoko, aka Bukom Banku, are untrue.
Johnson says though the GBA met on Thursday, there was no decision taken during the Disciplinary Committee meeting since the matter was not even on the agenda.
“As the Secretary-General of the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA), I state unequivocally and officially declare that yes, we had a meeting on the 7th of November, that was Thursday, and no one has revoked the license of Bukom Banku,” said Johnson to BoxingGhana.com.
“We did not even say it at the meeting. We did not say anything at the meeting concerning either the issue or Bukom Banku, it is a lie, it’s a full lie,” he concluded.
Earlier it was reported that the CEO of Box Office Promotions, Alex Ntiamoah-Boakye, had been granted special permission to seek relief from the courts if Bukom Banku didn’t pay the GH¢17,000 owed him as a result of a breach of contract after failing to honor the rematch with Bastie Samir.
Bukom Banku was scheduled to fight Bastie Samir for the second time after his first defeat as agreed by both parties, payment exchanged hands subsequently but the latter refused to fight Bastie Samir which compelled the promoter in question, Alex Ntiamoah-Boakye of Box Office Sports Promotions to seek redress from the Authority.
As we speak, the GBA are yet to sit on the case but an impression has mischievously made the rounds in the Ghanaian media space allegedly representing a ruling by the sanctioning body, a position the GBA denies in the strongest of terms.
Especially because the said revocation of Banku’s license as reported by some media outlets are simply untrue and must be treated with the greatest of contempt it deserves according to Mr. Johnson.
A simple cross-checking from the Ghana Boxing Authority could have cured the mischief.