Heavyweight contender Jarrell Miller believes that he would have crushed unified world champion Anthony Joshua – had the two of them collided in the ring back in June of 2019.
The fight was scheduled to take place at New York’s Madison Square Garden – but Miller was pulled from the fight after testing positive for several performance enhancing drugs.
With only five weeks to go, Miller was replaced by Andy Ruiz, who pulled off one of the biggest upsets in heavyweight history when he dropped Joshua four times and stopped him in the seventh round.
Earlier this year, Miller signed a co-promotional deal with Top Rank, who also co-promote WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury.
Miller has no doubt that he would have bumped off Joshua in even more spectacular fashion than Ruiz did.
“I would have put Anthony Joshua in a casket. I would have put a hurting on Joshua so bad that he’d never look in my direction again. So I had his number. A lot of people don’t know that Andy Ruiz asked me to come out for sparring,” Miller told Behind The Gloves.
“I was going to have Andy Ruiz on my training team. A lot of people said, ‘Why are you going to have Andy Ruiz on your training team? He’s short, chubby. He’s a different fighting style. He’s a fighting man, and he’s a good inside fighter. He throws combinations and has fast hands. He’s not a great outside fighter.’
“Joshua tried to mix it up with Andy, and he cracked his behind. If he [Joshua] had fought me, I would have put way more hurt on him. He would have been a sitting duck. And he doesn’t have better legs than me, and he doesn’t have better hand-eye coordination than me. He doesn’t come forward like me. I’m a bull.”
Joshua has a tentative date of July 25 to face mandatory challenger Kubrat Pulev at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London. But the fight is likely going to get pushed back for the second time, due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.