It’s official: Richard Harrison Lartey will return to the ring, and to the UK, versus Nathan Gorman on Saturday, October 10.
After weeks of haggling, Lartey secured a release letter from the Ghana Boxing Authority (GBA) to travel for the bout following several failed attempts due to issues with his manager, Cabic Promotions.
Lartey, who left for the UK on Friday, says he is unfazed in spite of all that.
“I’m ready for the fight and I promise to deliver a win for my country,” Lartey told BoxingAfrica.com. “I don’t think my managerial issues with Cabic Promotions would weigh me down going into the bout.
Lartey (14-2, 11 KOs) hasn’t fought since losing to Daniel Dubois in April 2019. His troubles with Cabic Promotions began leading up to that bout, when they misled the fighter, and the GBA, by initially stating that the bout purse was £20,000, instead of the actual £50,000 purse (full story here: https://www.boxingafrica.com/2020/09/richard-harrison-lartey-faces-a-major-battle-outside-the-ring/).
Cabic would end up giving Harrison even less than what they informed him: a purse of £10,000. The boxer brought these grievances to the GBA but the case was shelved until last week, a wait of nearly 1.5 years.
Lartey struggled to secure a bout during that time, attempting to seek a release from Cabic. The outfit responded by declaring that Harrison would have to pay £5 million in order to become a free agent.
The back and forth prompted the fighter to begin negotiating fights of his own, which ultimately led to him securing a bout versus Gorman (16-1, 11 KOs) on October 10.
Naturally, Cabic attempted to block the fight, contacting the British Boxing Board of Control (BBoC) unless, of course, they were paid their contractual 33%. All this despite failing to live up to their own end of the agreement in Harrison’s prior bout.
“I landed the fight myself and signed every document on my own,” said Lartey. “I don’t want to have anything to do with Cabic Promotions because they didn’t treat me well in my last fight.
“I don’t think Cabic Promotions deserve a penny from the fight with Gorman. They owe me so much from our last fight and haven’t done anything for me in over a year.”
The matter reached Queensbury Promotions, Gorman’s promoters, who grew concerned that Lartey may not be able to make it to the bout. BoxingAfrica.com obtained a copy of an email from Queensbury which stated:
“The BBB of C are writing to Cabic Promotions to let them know they will withhold their percentage of the money.
“If they do not agree to this and Ghanaian Commission do not give you permission to box, the BBB of C will not give you permission to box on the 10th October.”
With the fight slipping away and his complaint collecting dust on the GBA shelf, Harrison petitioned to them again to resolve the matter.
Lartey said the GBA issued the release for the fight on one condition. “After deliberations with all stakeholders of the bout, the GBA decided to issue the release letter for the fight on the condition that Cabic Promotions gets their due.”
Hence, Lartey will have to continue paying Cabic 33% of his purses.
“After their meetings, Cabic Promotions gave their word so we gave the clearance for him to attend the fight,” said Patrick Johnson, General Secretary of the GBA. “We asked them to sit and sort out their differences and get back to us so when the directive came, we decided to go with it.”
Lartey isn’t completely pleased with the decision but says his concentration must remain on the 24-year-old Gorman, who will be a heavy favorite in their bout.
“Those issues are out of the ring and will be dealt with after the bout,” he said. “I’m glad that I’m coming back after over a year of inactivity.”