Richard Commey spent more time walking to the ring than he did fighting in it. The IBF number one lightweight contender barely broke a sweat versus Yardley Cruz, ending affairs at 0:29 of the second round.
Commey’s next bout will be for a world title. Earlier this week, the IBF notified their lightweight champion Mikey Garcia of his obligation to face Commey next. Negotiations are expected to conclude by August 30. However, it’s unlikely Garcia follows through as he’ll likely move up and face world welterweight champion Errol Spence Jr. in December.
Nevertheless, no matter who Commey faces next, a belt will be on the line. Based on his performance tonight, he’s primed to wear one. Cruz was simply outclassed. Ghana’s Commey was the aggressor in the first, working his jab up and downstairs and whipping the right hand behind it. A left-right combination to the ribs caused Cruz to retreat to the ropes. Commey was on top of him instantly, punishing him to the head and body.
With seconds remaining in the first, Commey uncorked a huge overhand right to Cruz’s jaw. The Mexican staggered to the ropes only to eat another right that crumpled him to the canvas. He rose on unsteady legs, barely surviving the follow-up onslaught as the bell sounded seconds later.
He wasn’t so lucky in the second. Commey came out firing, forcing Cruz, 24-11 (14 KOs) to retreat to the corner. Commey was relentless, unleashing another series of combinations on the hapless Cruz. Moments later, it was all over.
“The plan was to go at him from the beginning,” said Commey, now 27-2 (24 KOs). “If someone isn’t on your level, you have to treat them like that and take care of business quickly.”
Commey said he’s excited about the prospects of facing Garcia but hasn’t lost sight of his objective.
“My goal is to win a world title. It doesn’t matter who I face. I thank God, I thank my team and everyone who supported me because all have helped bring me to this point. I won’t let you down.”