Heavyweight contender Tyson Fury has a backup plan in place – in the event Deontay Wilder will lose his upcoming rematch with Luis Ortiz.
Wilder will defend the WBC world heavyweight title against Ortiz next Saturday night at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Back in March 2018, Wilder stopped Ortiz in the tenth round – but not before Ortiz had Wilder is serious trouble during the seventh round of the fight. Wilder was able to recover and scored two knockdowns before Ortiz was saved by the referee.
Fury is slated to have his own rematch with Wilder, in February 2020. They fought to a twelve round split draw in December of last year.
But that rematch would be down the drain – if Ortiz pulls off a shocker, as Wilder will likely exercise a rematch clause for a trilogy bout.
Should that happen, then Fury will go after the winner of Andy Ruiz vs. Anthony Joshua, who battle for the WBO, WBA, IBF, IBO world titles on December 7th in Saudi Arabia.
“When one door closes another one opens. So if he loses, he loses. He’ll have a rematch with Ortiz no doubt. And I’ll look for the winner of Andy Ruiz Jr vs Anthony Joshua on the same date,” Fury told Talk Sport.
Fury explains that either way he wants to eventually collide in the ring with the winner of Ruiz vs. Joshua. He’s willing to fight Wilder in February and then go straight to the winner of Ruiz-Joshua in the summer.
“I believe 100 percent yes. It has got to happen. I have three fights left on my contract. Deontay Wilder is next and if Wilder wants it again, he can. Then I will fight the winner of Joshua and Ruiz Jr for sure,” Fury said.