BoxingAfrica.com has learned that hard-hitting Ghanaian welterweight Dodzi Kemeh (19-1, 17 KO’s) is set to make his U.S. debut at the DoubleTree Hotel in Ontario, California, on November 17 versus undefeated WBO NABO welterweight champion Giovanni Santillan (22-0, 12 KO’s).
Santillan’s title will be on the line in this headlining event. The 25-year-old southpaw is currently rated no. 7 by the WBO. The winner of this bout will take a major step toward battling for the world title, currently held by Manny Pacquiao conqueror Jeff Horn.
Kemeh relocated to the U.S. earlier this year, where he’s been sparring alongside elite American talent such as current IBF 154lb. champion Jarrett Hurd and middleweight contender Immanuwel Aleem.
Santillan represents a major step up in class for the Ghanaian.
“I’m very excited for this opportunity,” Kemeh told BoxingAfrica.com. “Santillan is an excellent fighter but we’ve been hard at work in the gym awaiting this opportunity.”
Fifteen of Santillan’s 22 pro bouts have been held at this venue, making him the house fighter. But Kemeh isn’t concerned about dodgy scoring.
“I have faith that we will have fair judges on that night,” he said. “And of course, I’m bringing my own judges in my two fists. We are looking to make a statement.”
Stay tuned to BoxingAfrica.com for more details on this bout.